Monday, February 13, 2012

Love bites!

With Valentine's day right around the corner I thought I'd make a delicious dessert to share with friends or lovers. I had never made cake pops and thought this was the perfect excuse! Miss Heather's roommate, Madison, came up with the clever idea of calling them "love bites" since they're the perfect bite-sized treat. If you've never had them, you're missing out and should probably make them now. Your taste buds will thank you (and Miss Mel and Miss Heather for introducing you to them).
Here's what you'll need to get started:
-the cake mix of your choice
-a frosting that will be complimentary to your cake mix
-melting chocolate
-lollipop sticks
-wax paper
(I used red velvet cake mix, cream cheese frosting, white chocolate and got food color dye to dye some of the white chocolate pink)
1. First thing you need to do is follow normal baking instructions on the box. Let your cake cool completely before going onto the next step.
2. Next take your cake and crumble it up into a bowl and add 2-3 cups of frosting. Mix well. You can use a spoon if you like but I used my hands because it's more fun that way. I will say this is a messy project and very hands-on so if you don't like getting messy you might want to shy away from this.
3. Now this is where it gets messy (or fun in my book). First lay out sheets of wax paper, fully covering 2 cookie sheets. You're going to need to take handfuls of dough and make 1-2 ounce balls out of your cake and frosting mixture and then set them on the wax paper. Once you've filled the sheets, stick them in the fridge for the next few hours to cool and harden a little bit.
4. When you think they've sufficiently cooled you can start melting your chocolate. I've found microwaving 1-2 cups of chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring in between, works the best for me.
5. For my concoction I dyed some of my white chocolate pink so I could have a cute little Valentine theme. First I would take the lollipop stick and dip it in the chocolate, then stick it in the pop and dip the pop in the complimentary color. If I dipped the stick in the pink chocolate I would dip the pop in the white, and vice versa. After the dipping was done and I let the excess chocolate drip off, I returned the cake pop to the wax paper to dry completely.
6. Now that you've finished dipping all the pops in the chocolate, you can either let them air dry on the counter or return them back to the fridge. Wait an hour so and then you're free to enjoy the fruits of your labor!
Don't they look tasty? I can tell you right that they are and will not likely be lasting very long in my home! Have fun baking!

-Miss Mel and Miss Heather

2 comments:

Joe said...

my god those look delicious.

Miss Mel said...

haha you should make them josepher!