Monday, July 30, 2012

DIY: Peter Pan Collar

So I finally completed a craft I've been wanting to do for a while, create my own peter pan collar!

I got the idea to make my own after seeing one for $70 at TopShop. I thought to myself, "I could totally make that" and so I did!

Supplies

(all purchased at JoAnn's Fabrics)
1 Piece of Cream Colored Felt
3/4 of a yard of Cream Colored Lace
Scissors or Exacto-Knife
Rotary Hole-Puncher
Hot Glue Gun
ModPodge or Clear Nail Polish
Needle and Thread
1 Button
Q-Tip
Ribbon

Step One
Find a template online of the shape you desire to make your peter pan collar.
I used this one from the DIY website "Honestly...WTF". 

Step Two


Take your template and use it to cut out the felt into the two pieces of the peter pan collar. 

Step Three



Grab your lace and your hot glue gun to make fine lines of glue on top of the felt to attach your lace to. A little hint, I used a q-tip to smooth out the hot glue underneath the lace so it wasn't as bulky and I didn't burn my fingers! Then cut off all the extra lace.

Step Four
After your hot glue has dried, take another q-tip and dip it into ModPodge to use along the lace's edge so no fraying occurs. Just spread your Modpodge very lightly along all edges of your collar. You could also use clear nail polish if you don't have any ModPodge!

Step Five
Take the two pieces of your collar and over-lap them slightly. Remember, this has to fit around your neck! Then, find your button, needle and thread and sew your button as well as, the two pieces together.

Step Six

Using your rotary hole-puncher, make one hole at the top of each piece of your collar.

Step Seven
Grab your ribbon and string it through so the knot will not be seen from the front.
Again, this has to fit around your neck so make sure to give yourself plenty of ribbon!

Step Eight
This step is optional, but I took my hot glue gun and went over my sewing and the back of the knots of the ribbon. I thought it would just really hold everything together. 

Now, you're ready to wear!

-Miss Mel and Miss Heather

p.s. you may also like...
DIY: Hair Garland
&
DIY: Headphone Wraps
&
DIY: Koozies

No comments: